Thursday, August 26, 2010

A diversion into memory.

Ok, so I've been getting pretty serious with my blog lately, so I'm thinking tonight will be a little laid back.

I have been inspired to write again. There has been a lot of live performance and beautiful artistry in my life, and my recent visit with my two incredibly musical brothers has ignited that old flame that I though was dead.

To start off, I will right a poem. I will ask my wife for a word to be my theme. brb.

Ok, the word is purple. Thanks Heather! Sorry to have interrupted Project Runway! :(

Enjoy, and thank you for reading.




I see in you my eyes glimmering softly

that same child's smile that I remember from so long ago is greeting me once again

the ten fingers and the ten toes, treading adeptly on the driveway and in the mud

are only newer versions of mine that did so long ago





I have walked the same paths as you

I have spoke the same words and cried the same tears as you

I have kissed my mother's lips in love and held my father's hands in comfort

just as when you wish goodnight or experience pain





But for all I know you and I share

for all of the experiences that complete our bond

I know that time will cut your mold and allow you to drain from that which I am

and form into a soul with its own dimensions, with its own character and finesse





I know that you will prefer to stand in the places I sat

I hope that you will run at the moments I walked, and stare boldly ahead when I flinched

your progress will take you not from me, but to a place just as special and important

and I will always carry with me the reminders of this time





I see in you my eyes glimmering softly

and that mischievous smile is telling me to be on my guard

your favorite color in front of us on the paper shows our family, all with faces and stick legs

and i know you'll always be my little girl




emmett h. buhmann


8-26-2010

2 comments:

  1. SO sweet! Ah I love it! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'm always so proud of the person you have become, even in spite of your crazy parents . . . I love you son. The gift you give your family by being present with them, physically and emotionally, is beyond value. You will never regret the time you spend close. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete